Saturday, October 31, 2009

Homeless Isn't Just An Earthly Event

Posted by Bishop Susan Storm Smith

Last year at this time I was in eastern Africa, thinking about being back in the States as people were getting ready for holiday shopping, Thanksgiving dinner, and then Christmas. I wondered what it was going to be like in the rural areas I was living, in a place that so far hadn't gotten excited even over the local holidays.

Photobucket It was strange to find that even the national holidays were nothing of importance. I laughed at how many times the banks were closed because of "National Day". It seems that every person had a special holiday if they had been in office, but in a democracy of only 40-years or so that wasn't so hard to understand. But it was the special holidays of growing up that I took for granted to be internationally celebrated. So the anticipation started growing.

Click here to continue

0 comments:

Post a Comment