Wednesday, November 25, 2009

"I did the right thing God...so why don't I feel better?"

Posted by Tamara Canup Graves

Oh my goodness.

Sometimes, I know I have to do the right thing. And sometimes, I even manage to do the right thing I'm supposed to be doing. But man...sometimes...I don't feel any better about it.

Today we were leaving the apartments to go take me to have some lab work done. We pulled out of the gates to our neighborhood, and got stopped by a bus getting ready to drop off some kids. I used to aid on a special needs bus so I recognized that they were getting ready to unload someone in a wheelchair. So I motioned to Joseph to stop and pointed at the "stop" sign that was sticking out. I told him it probably wouldn't take long. Well, then the bus driver shoves her hand out the window and waves another bus and a car that were in front of us to go ahead around. Joseph looked at me and said, "Should I go too?" I looked at the aid that had just finished unloading the student and I said, "Well, I guess they don't mind...go ahead". So we begin to pull around when all of a sudden the aid comes running around to the back of the bus and starts screaming at us, "STOP!! THAT'S ILLEGAL!!" Joseph hits the breaks and I roll down the window and say, "I'm sorry?" She stands there and she keeps yelling, "That's illegal! Don't you know that's illegal!? What's wrong with you?? You can't pass a bus! Don't you see that stop sign!? That's what it's for!!!" I was caught completely off guard and instead of saying, "Well, I thought it was okay", I got chocked up and said, "I'm sorry, I didn't know it was...I'm sorry". She then said, "Oh so you didn't know it was illegal then??" I said, "Yes ma'am..I'm sorry". She replied again, "You didn't know it was illegal??" Again, I responded, "Yes ma'am...I'm really sorry". Then, she kinda smiled, cocked her head and said, "Do you even have a license??".... ugh...I responded, "Yes ma'am, I do." Then she just stood there staring at us with that smirk and said, "Well, it's illegal to pass a bus. So YOU can just wait until we get done here." So we did. I rolled up the window and she glared at us until she finished putting the ramp back up. Then, the anonymous bus driver waved us by and we were off.

Click to continue

0 comments:

Post a Comment