Thursday, June 11, 2009

What Makes Your Swing

At a meeting recently, I was reminded of a leadership conference where we were handed a sheet of paper with many versions of what a swing looked like. Of course, the various swings was made to conform with the working background of the dad who was going to build this joyful creation for his son. One word created eight Swingshappy1 different styles of a swing; everything from one of the all around favorites, a big tire on a rope hanging from a strong tree limb, or a secured cable, wood, and metal-type trapeze swing. One word, an idea and a lot of different interpretations. Everyday, we have the opportunity to make the swing with other people. What would your project look like?Proverbs 3:5 states, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not to your own understanding."If we believe that we each have a deliberate purpose in life, then it stands to reason that God is a partner in the development of that purpose. But how many times do we try to "build the swing" without any communication with our partner? How many times have we read in the media of one business or marriage failing because one of the partners didn't communicate valuable information to the other partner(s)?Each of us has been born with wonderful skills and talents that we improve upon over time. With encouragement from others, we learn to accentuate the positive and deflect the negative--at least most of the time. We have learned to ask questions, experiment, and transfer some of those skills into other venues. Then there are those without motivation, no incentive to do better, to try--because there is no mentor to give them a push.Think back over your life, who was the person or people who have influenced you to try something different? Who has prompted you or challenged you to think differently? If you're like me, it wasn't anybody in my family that made the positive difference, it was school teachers and mentors in my early professional career.I remember one man, he was a CPA and my desk was right next to his. I was so curious about what he did and how he got to be a CPA. I wasn't really sure at that point what one was, I was young and very inexperienced. My job was working with the purchase manager for a large store; a job that was really fun and exciting. But there was something about the CPA's job that had my attention. He answered my questions but didn't push. He was aware of my curiosity but allowed me to grasp information in my time and ability. What was the outcome?Over a year's time, I went back to school in accounting. Over the next few years I had two opportunities from business people who would pay my way into grad school, all expenses paid--if I would be come a CPA, and one group added jurist doctorate to the plan. "We know you have the insight and skills to do this" they all said.I did, and I didn't want what they wanted so I turned them all down. People thought I was crazy. It just wasn't my "swing". My project would have elements of what others thought were right for me, but we had no communication prior to their input for my life. So their choice for me was based on what they knew about me and their background and skills.

http://www.livinginblackandwhite.com/profiles/blogs/2133465:BlogPost:11263

0 comments:

Post a Comment